[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jun 2 12:02:18 EDT 2004

At 07:06 AM 6/2/04 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Stackless is *not* a minor change to Python, and that it severely
>restricts the
>ways in which Python can interact with other systems, be they hardware
>platforms, software frameworks, or 3rd party extensions.

It's definitely not a minor change, but I think that the severe
restrictions comment may perhaps be inaccurate.  My understanding at this
point from Bob and Christian is that for tasklets (which are apparently
what most people want from Stackless), the code is portable, pure C, and
has no effect on code that doesn't use tasklets, except in performance.

However, rather than continue discussion on this point, it would probably
be better if the people who actually understand the Stackless
implementation were to write a tasklets PEP addressing what *specifically*
would be the *minimum* changes to the CPython interpreter to support
co-operative multitasking.

By specifically, I mean listing what core functions/objects will be
changed, and how those changes will impact other code.  Do any
interfaces/APIs change?  Is there anything that people writing new core
code or extensions have to be aware of?  And so on.  A full statement of
impact, in other words.  At that point, a pronouncement could be made on
the basis of those specifics, and if the answer is no, then the PEP would
provide a convenient place to point people to in the future, thus avoiding
further reiterations of this discussion.  And, in the meanwhile, it gives
you and Martin a way to tell the other folks to "PEP up or shut up".  :)