[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jun 2 03:35:39 EDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 1:58 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> Well the tasklet/channel model of Stackless is a single threaded
>> version of CSP, which has at least one Java implementation:
>> http://wotug.kent.ac.uk/parallel/languages/java/jcsp/
>
> However, JCSP uses java.lang.Threads to implement concurrency. So they
> are completely unlike Stackless' tasklets in their implementation
> strategy.

So what, if the API is the same?

>> That, of course, doesn't cover every single function that the
>> Stackless API currently exposes, but tasklets/channels are the raison
>> d'etre.
>
> That sounds strange. I would have expected that the reason for
> Stackless
> Python is to have no stack, not to have tasklets.
>
> If you only wanted tasklets, you could implement them on top of
> threads,
> without any need for extensions.

You're kidding, right?

Using the stack or not is an implementation detail, what matters is
having more control over the flow of your programs in a reasonably
efficient manner.  It just so happens that the recursive evaluation in
CPython uses the stack in such a way that makes these kind of
constructs impossible, so it needed to be changed for Stackless.

-bob