[Python-Dev] Python bug day?

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Tue Jun 1 15:02:59 EDT 2004

> As for telling who is working on a bug or patch, perhaps someone could
> write up an IRC bot?  Then people can just say ``<tracker #>: working``
> and such, allowing people to query by asking ``<tracker #>: status`` and
> have it say who is currently working on it.  But I have no clue how
> feasible that is since I don't know how IRC works under the covers
> (heck, I barely know how to log on).

I'd use one of the many irc bots already written in python as a basis
for such a thing, chump for example:

  http://usefulinc.com/chump/

Other nice ideas are to have the bot monitor the bug database (directly,
via bug emails or by screen scraping) and announce bug status changes
to the channel as well as being able to give the bot simple commands to
have it update bug status or assignment in the sf bug tracker.

anyways, enough with the bugbot brainstorm; i'd be impressed if someone
implemented a bugbot at all before the first bug day. ;)

-g