[Python-Dev] Adding directories to configure.in for fink?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 16 11:25:39 CEST 2004

    Jack> But I'm not too thrilled with fink and /sw support in
    Jack> general: it's just too easy to build an executable or plugin
    Jack> module that doesn't work on other machines (if you have fink
    Jack> stuff installed and the other machine doesn't). And while
    Jack> this is uncommon on most unix machines it's much more common
    Jack> on the Mac.

If you're saying that you think Python should ignore Fink in both
configure and setup.py, I tend to agree, although I'm a Fink user.
Mostly I use Fink sources; they take care of it.

    Jack> Could we add a configure flag --with[out]-fink that governs
    Jack> adding /sw to search paths in both configure and setup.py,
    Jack> or is that overkill?

If you're going to do this for Fink, don't you want to do it for
DarwinPorts too?  XEmacs's configure has a --site-prefixes switch such
that --site-prefixes=/sw does both --site-includes=/sw/include and
--site-libraries=/sw/lib.  This handles both Fink and DarwinPorts (and
anythign else that might come along) in a sensible way.  Isn't that a
generic autoconf feature?