[Python-Dev] What is test__locale supposed to test, anyhow?

Nick Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Thu Jul 15 07:02:39 CEST 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:10 PM, Brett C. wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> Nick Bastin wrote:
>>> Well, it seems we ought to have *some* kind of test that _locale is
>>> working properly.  The current test doesn't seem to fit the bill.
>> It qualifies as *some* test, though. Remember that there is also
>> test_locale.py.
>
> But not on OS X.  It raises TestSkipped saying how locale support is
> so minimal that it isn't worth testing.

Yeah, I'm going remove that and test it out...that message may be bogus
at this point - it was put there a year and a half ago by Jack, and I'm
reasonably sure that no one's tested it since (and I don't believe it
anyhow - it's more like Python's support is bad - MacOS X's support for
locale is pretty good).  We've definitely got something strange going
on with locale, however, since I can't make it work at all in python,
but it works fine outside of Python.

--
Nick