[Python-Dev] Python 2.4a1 use of c:\winnt directory

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 06:44:40 CEST 2004

[Klepach, Joseph]
> The python 2.4a1 release using the msi installer insists on copying
> python24.dll to the C:\WINNT\system32 directory instead the of requested user
> directory.
>
> This did not occur in the past and is causing a problem because my company
> locks the c:\winnt directory on all user pc's.
>
> Will this functionality be part of the official release?

That depends on whether someone volunteers to do the work.

When I took over the Python Windows installers, they always copied the
DLL into a system directory.  I added the "non-admin install" option,
and a bunch of other things, because they were the right things to do.
 My mgmt chain at the time just whined at me, for spending more time
on it than they thought was necessary.

The two things to take from that are:  (1) it takes real work to
arrange for these nice touches; and, (2) only a volunteer can get away
with spending the time to do them -- unless Python users (who
understand the need for them acutely) are willing to fund the work.

Remember all that when Martin replies <wink> (Martin created the new
MSI-based installer).