[Python-Dev] New test failure, test_socket, WinXP

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jul 9 09:23:48 CEST 2004

On 8-jul-04, at 15:33, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 01:00, Brett C. wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I am +1 on changing 'www' to 'http' in the test and moving
>>> on.
>>
>> That won't work on Linux, apparently.  Okay, I looked at the Windows
>> file that Brett mentioned and it looks like checking 'echo',
>> 'daytime',
>> and 'domain' should do the trick.  I'll commit the change.
>
> Having 'echo' first breaks the test on FreeBSD, at the assertion in
> line
> 302 of test_socket, because FreeBSD's services file includes records
> for
> protocol "ddp" (AppleTalk over TCP/IP??), including an "echo" on port 4
> rather than the expected port 7 for the "tcp" & "udp" protocols.

I haven't looked at the code, but wouldn't this be a design problem?
I'd expect that you'd have to supply a protocol name in the call to
getservbyport, service names tend to be the same for UDP and TCP but
there is no guarantee that they will always be the same.

Ronald

--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173