[Python-Dev] Re: Proposed: change to posting rules for python-dev

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 31 12:19:46 EST 2004

"Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote in message
news:1075512752.1075.350.camel at anthem...
> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 19:44, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
>
> > Moderating the lists is taking a fair amount of admin time right now.
> > At least during storms, it seems reasonable to bounce non-subscribers
> > automatically.  The bounce will tell them what to do to get posted.
>
> That's really the biggest motive for my suggestion.  OTOH, python-dev at
> the moment doesn't have a ton of held messages, because the list was
> actually misconfigured to accept all non-member posts until about 4
> hours ago.  What's there now is all unwanted (spam, virus bounces, etc).
>
> Ideally, Mailman would have a challenge-response system for non-member
> posters, but I don't want to get into that here.
>
> Right now, Jeremy and I are the only admins and neither of us has much
> time to be diligent in clearing the queue.  So maybe let's turn this
> around: if I can get 3 volunteers to be python-dev moderators, we'll
> leave the current policy of holding non-member postings for approval.
> Otherwise, we'll auto reject them.
>
> Email me directly if you're interested.

If this means something like visiting an admin page, say once a day,
clicking on obvious junk, and then delete (and similar but 'admit' for
obvious good stuff) yes.  I would be happy to leave borderline cases
(should this be clp instead) alone for 'higher' authority.

Can't spurious virus bounces be filtered?  They all seem so similar.  Or
are there occasional valid bounce messages to be dealt with?

Terry