[Python-Dev] Hotshot

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jan 26 11:36:48 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 10:40, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >     Walter> Maybe this script should use optparse instead of getopt?
> >
> > How would optparse be better than getopt, especially for simple use
> > such as this?
>
> Optparse is *always* better than getopt, once you're used to it.  Even
> for a single option it's usually fewer lines of code.

And with Optparse it's much easier to add/remove options since each
option's spec and handling is in one place, instead of spread out in
several places.  I do have a few minor nits with optparse though[1].
Even so, +1 on using Optparse for all new scripts.

-Barry

[1] e.g
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=842213