[Python-Dev] Configure option to change Python's name?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jan 21 19:22:53 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Jack Jansen wrote:
>>
>>The idea was triggered by Michael Hudson, who wanted to install a
>>debugging-enabled framework build of Python on MacOSX, which shouldn't
>>interfere with the normal Python (either Apple-installed or
>>user-installed). It turns out this is doable through meticulous hacking
>>of the Makefile after configure (and, for now, ignoring the few
>>hardcoded "Python.framework" references in Lib, but those need fixing
>>anyway). For other unix systems a similar approach would work to isolate
>>a debug-python from the normal production python.
>
> Why can't you configure with an entirely different --prefix, such as
> /just/for/me?

That only works if you want to provide the full path to the executable
each time you use it (or if you are willing to set up a link or alias
that sits in the PATH that does what Jack suggests).

I'm somewhere between +0 and +1; the former is because I worry a bit
about dealing with people who do this when they don't know what they're
doing.

A: No.
Q: Is top-posting okay?