[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 18 15:22:13 EST 2004

"Paul Moore" <pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:7jzpbfns.fsf at yahoo.co.uk...
writes:

> > Paul Moore wrote:
> >> One item I noticed with this installer (I used the build 12421, which
> >> I believe is the latest) is that there is no ability to specify where
> >> you want the start menu entries to go. I regularly, with Python 2.3,
> >> move them from "All Programs\Python 2.3" to "All Programs\Programming
> >> \Python 2.3"
> >
> > I don't know how to do this.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no experience with MSI installers, so I can't
> help.

Part of how I judge games (and other software - but I install and remove
more demos than anything else) is by whether the installer allows me to put
start menu entries in a directory/group of my own naming under my current
start/games group or whether it imperialisticly insists on adding a new top
level entry like egocorp/.  (Microsoft itself being an example of one of
the latter :-(.

So, although I am personally happy with pythonx.y/, I agree it would be
preferable to give people a choice.  But I have no idea of the mechanics.
I know that InstallShield can do this, but have no idea if they now use msi
or not.

Another related matter.  Under XP, programs can be installed so they only
work for admin user (ugh), so that they are only obviously accessible by
admin (through desktop icon and start menu) but actually work for any
account if one uses explorer to find and double click on executable, or so
that they are visible and work from any account.  Except for admin only
programs, which python is not, I prefer latter (and will test for with
latest installer soon on new xp system).

Terry J. Reedy