[Python-Dev] bad exec* prototypes check - obsolete?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 17 13:14:56 EST 2004

    >> In configure.in there is a check for bad exec* prototypes:
    >> Since we assume a proper ANSI C compiler at this point, can we get
    >> rid of this test?

    Sjoerd> That code is ancient.  The fi on the last line is still from revision
    Sjoerd> 1.1 in 1993!  I wrote the original version of this and Guido
    Sjoerd> incorporated it into the Python configure.  I think it can go,
    Sjoerd> especially since IRIX 4 support has been deleted.

It's gone.  Thanks for the feedback.

It goes without saying that with these rather substantial subtractions,
testing should be carried out on as many platforms as possible.  I'm doing
Mac OS X and Solaris 8, and can give things a whirl on RH Linux and Cygwin,
but there are a number of platforms (DEC Alpha comes to mind) which appear
to overlap more with the changes I've made so far, especially in
thread_pthread.h.

Skip