[Python-Dev] collections module

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Jan 12 11:28:18 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> I am frankly surprised that so many here think that a collections module
> would be bad for the language.  Go figure.  It's not like these are new,
> untried ideas -- the goal was supposed be improving productivity by
> providing higher level tools.  A fast underlying implementation was just
> icing on the cake.

I'm suspecting that most of the negativity came from the lack of use
cases for bags.  Let me suggest an alternate idea: in the past, some
people have suggested a "data structures" module to give reference
implementations of standard data structures and algorithms.  This would
be a tool aimed more at making it easy to learn computer science with
Python than providing the highest-speed quirky implementations; the
focus would be on documenting the code.

A: No.
Q: Is top-posting okay?