[Python-Dev] Python MSI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 11 14:13:49 EST 2004

Bob Arnson wrote:
> One suggestion: You should author the InitialTargetDir custom action
 > into the InstallExecuteSequence table so a silent install supplies
 > a default directory. You can already run a silent install by passing in
 > a TARGETDIR property setting to the MSIEXEC command line, but if
 > you forget, everything lands in the root of your boot drive.

Can you please elaborate? I don't quite understand the relationship
between the UI sequence and the execute sequence:

- Is it true that, with full UI, it first executes the entire UI
   sequence, and then the full execute sequence? Then why do people
   typically duplicate actions in both sequences?

- If not: what parts of the execute sequence are executed under
   what conditions?

I'm somewhat worried that the action would be executed even after
the user was already queried for the targetdir (although the
condition should avoid TARGETDIR being reset).

Also, I currently install by default into [WindowsVolume]PythonXY.
Would it be better to install into [ROOTDIR]PythonXY, as this would
be the drive with most space?

Regards,
Martin