[Python-Dev] CJKCodecs integration into Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jan 9 17:43:34 EST 2004

Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just submitted a patch to integrate CJKCodecs into python.
> (http://www.python.org/sf/873597)
>
> As I remember, the problems mentioned on a previous discussion about
> this are these three:
>
> 1) Size
>
>  Python+CJKCodecs is just 102% of the original by source size and
>  104% by source line counts. Installed binary size is about 2.5MB.
>  I think it's not a big size for todays harddisks.
>
> 2) Backward Compatibility with C/J/K Codecs
>
>  with ChineseCodecs: it's perfectly compatible except ChineseCodecs'
>  trivial bugs.
>
>  with JapaneseCodecs: it's now compatible enough to use. the only
>  difference is ISO-2022-JP's error handling for bytes set MSB which
>  is very unusual and invalid.
>
>  with KoreanCodecs: it's perfectly compatibie.
>
> 3) Maintenance
>
>  I can maintain it on Python CVS by myself now. :)
>
> And I put cjkcodecs files into Modules/cjkcodecs/, but I can't sure
> this is the right place to put them.
>
> Any opionions will be appreciated.

I like it except for the module names of the underlying C modules.
Could you group them under a common prefix, e.g. _cjk_<codecname> ?!

Even better would be to put them into a package, but I'm not
sure whether that would complicate the setup.

> Thank you!

Thank you for contributing these !

Since this is a major contribution, we will probably have to ask
you to sign one of the contribution agreements that we are currently
having in the legal review queue. Would that pose a problem ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 06 2004)