[Python-Dev] Relaxing Unicode error handling

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jan 6 05:27:00 EST 2004

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Codecs define what the default error handling should be (setting
>> errors to NULL), not the Unicode implementation.
>
> I'm not proposing to change this. Codecs would continue to define
> their error handling. The builtin codecs would base their decision
> on unicode.errorhandling, though.

But if you change the default behaviour of the builtin codecs
only, how would this help a user of a broken application ?

The Unicode implementation would continue to use "strict"
for things like low-level parser marker conversions and external
codecs would also not work as expected (e.g. the Asian codecs).

In the end, I don't think we'd gain anything much except another
global to carry around.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 06 2004)