[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 26 13:33:05 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:48, Moore, Paul wrote:

> The PEP doesn't specify where discussion should take place, but the
> author hasn't participated here. At some point, he (or someone else) is
> going to have to put the PEP forward for acceptance.
>
> At the moment, the PEP appears fairly strongly in favour of "as" and
> against the use of brackets. But the author admits that he has not
> got the expertise to provide an implementation.

At this point, I think the PEP should try to outline the various
syntactic options in a way that the BDFL can look at them and make a
decision.  I think it's okay that the implementation picks one of those
-- I don't think we necessarily need implementations of every syntax
option right now.  The existing one allows people to play with the
semantics which should be good enough to decide whether we want new
syntax to support this at all.

-Barry