[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 17:37:26 EST 2004

    Mark> Just a data point from a user: I use classmethod fairly
    Mark> frequently, and I would *love* to see some syntax to support it.
    Mark> As has been pointed out before, classmethod (and staticmethod) are
    Mark> a part of the interface of a function, and shouldn't be tacked on
    Mark> to the end of the body. Please let me put them where people (and
    Mark> hopefully pydoc and pychecker) can easily see them.

    Mark> I marginally prefer [] to "as", but I don't have strong feelings
    Mark> either way.  Both seem quite readable and pythonic to me.

I'll add another data point.  Quixote'd PTL uses almost this exact syntax to
distinguish between PTL functions/methods which return HTML or plain text.
The only difference is that it places the annotation before the argument
list:

    def head [html] (title):
        '''
        <head>
        <title>%(title)s</title>
        ''' % locals()

        threecol_css()

        '</head>'

I haven't heard any Quixote users complain about the construct.  (I don't
know if PTL supports more than one annotation per function or not.  I think
the only choices are currently "html" or "text", which are obviously
mutually exclusive.)

Skip