[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 08:34:32 EST 2004

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> At 06:48 PM 2/19/04 -0500, Jewett, Jim J wrote:
>
>>I think this may be one reason this didn't happen before;
>>wrapping is good, but it isn't entirely obvious how to
>>write it or exactly what it should mean.  Given that, it
>>might be premature to use up the [] syntax.
>
> Well, I personally prefer the 'as' syntax for both class and function
> decorators.
>
> As for the semantics of class decorators, I would propose that they be
> identical to the semantics for function decorators.  I don't think
> there's a point to adding more ways to spell '__metaclass__'.  :)

I think that one key point here is that the [...] syntax appealed to
someone (MWH) enough for him to produce a patch. None of the
variations, as far as I am yet aware, has resulted in a working patch.

For me, "parcticality beats purity" may well apply here - given the
choice between something that can be applied now, and something which
provides the same (presumably...) semantics with a different syntax,
but which doesn't yet exist, I'd say go for the former (or produce a
competing patch - "put up or shut up", if you like, although that's
stronger than I intend...)

I don't see anyone arguing for different *semantics*. If I'm wrong,
then it's getting lost in the discussions over syntax and usage.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank