[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Pythonmarshal.c, 1.79, 1.80

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:26:25 CET 2004

[Jeremy Hylton on a quick 2.4.1]
>>> Nothing wrong with an incremental release, but none of these sound
>>> like critical bugs to me.

[Aahz]
>> You don't think a blowup in marshal is critical?  Mind expanding on
>> that?

[Jeremy]
> An undocumented extension to marshal causes a segfault.  It's
> certainly a bug worth fixing.  It doesn't sound like a critical bug to
> me.

The new optional ``version`` argument to marshal.dumps() is
documented.  The easiest way to see that is to look at 2.4's
marshal.dumps() docs <wink>.  Unfortunately, it was wholly untested.

Still, it's a new-in-2.4 gimmick, and no pre-2.4 code could be using
it.  I suppose Armin found a use for it in 2.4, but I'm still
scratching my head.  If ZODB doesn't already depend on it, how useful
can it be?  QED

WRT "my" critical thread bug, I asked that everyone pretend I hadn't
submitted it until a month after 2.4 was released.  That hasn't
happened yet, so I refuse to admit it exists.

FWIW, I'd press on with 2.3.5 first, while it can still attract some
volunteer effort.