[Python-Dev] Re: Python in education

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 15 20:58:59 CET 2004

"Randy Chung" <aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
news:41C02165.2010000 at ocf.berkeley.edu...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm going to be leading a class on Python at the University of
> California, Berkeley next semester (starting in January).

Great.

>  I'm  interested in using actual bugs in Python as exercises

Please consider including review of existing patches.  Besides being
useful, it will also teach students how to submit good patches of their
own.

Your primary choice is whether to work on changes in the C code for the
interpreter and builtin modules or changes in the Python code in standard
library modules.  The former would be more appropriate for a class on
application programming in C, so I suggest the latter for learning Python
programming.  Besides which, improving the library will probably be a focus
of the just-starting 2.5 cycle.

You can access existing patch and bug lists via
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470

For each, you can narrow list by selecting, for instance, Category 'Python
Library'.

Terry J. Reedy