[Python-Dev] The other Py2.4 issue

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sun Dec 12 19:15:37 CET 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 04:40:22PM +0100, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> Armin Rigo wrote:
> >Hum, this is getting into a Linux-vs-Windows argument.  I don't
> >want to invest time and money on Windows tools just to compile my
> >extension module for Windows users...
>
> If you don't have Windows at all, you cannot create Windows installers
> for your users, anyway.

Actually you are wrong there!  We cross compile our major application
(about 500k lines of C/C++) on linux/x86 for various architectures,
Windows/x86 being one of them.  We create the Windows installer using
the Nullsoft installer (which we run under Wine) and compile with a
gcc / mingw cross compiler.  This all works very well and means we can
build all our architectures every night on a single machine.

I'm following this thread with interest because we are considering
embedding Python into this project, and I'm wondering whether we can
cross compile python using mingw (almost certainly by the sound of
it), but probably harder would be to make python module build and
install system work cross-wise.