[Python-Dev] Re: Re: 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Erik Heneryd erik at heneryd.com
Sun Dec 12 17:10:58 CET 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>>>fwiw, IDG's Computer Sweden,  "sweden's leading IT-newspaper" has a
>>>surprisingly big Python article in their most recent issue:
>>>
>>>    PYTHON FEELS WELL
>>>    Better performance biggest news in 2.4
>>>

>>>and briefly interviews swedish zope-developer Johan Carlsson and Python-
>>>Ware co-founder Håkan Karlsson.

> so I don't think you can blame Johan or Håkan...  the writer simply read the
> python.org material, and picked a couple of things that he found interesting
> (decorators and generator expressions may be a big thing for an experienced
> pythoneer, but they are probably a bit too obscure for a general audience...)

I'm a bit puzzled by the last paragraph, where Python is grouped
together with PHP and Perl - names starting with p, being popular on
Linux and not having big, commercial backers.  The article then
concludes "Since Python is copyrighted, it's not truly open.  However,
it can be freely used and redistributed, even commercially."

Huh?  Where did THAT come from?  You might argue the merits of Python
being associated with Perl/PHP, but it's a fact that it is.  But when it
is, it's seen as less free?

Erik