[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Dec 11 18:07:16 CET 2004

At 08:22 AM 12/11/04 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>BTW I strongly disagree that making easy .EXE binaries available will
>address this issue; while not bundled, there are plenty of solutions
>for maning .EXEs for those who need them, and this is not something
>that typically worries managers. But the perception of Python as
>"slow" does worry managers.

The relevant memes are that "compiled == fast", and that ".exe == compiled".

It's not about .exe as a distribution format, but rather that producing an
.exe is supporting evidence of having a "real" compiler.

IOW, if there exists a compiler, but it doesn't produce .exe's, it won't be
considered a "real" compiler by many programmers.