[Python-Dev] The other Py2.4 issue

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Dec 10 19:19:10 CET 2004

At 01:12 PM 12/10/04 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>On Dec 10, 2004, at 1:05 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 05:19 PM 12/10/04 +0000, Armin Rigo wrote:
>>
>>>Another note: can you report on whether building libpython24.a can be
>>>skipped
>>>for mingw?  I'm thinking about the specific situation where we want on-site
>>>compilation of extension modules with a minimal number of things to install
>>>first.  E.g. if we need to compile libpython24.a it means we need to
>>>fetch the
>>>Python sources themselves first.
>>
>>Actually, no, you don't need the sources.  See:
>>
>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/041676.html
>>
>>for a script that builds libpython24.a from the python24.lib distributed
>>with Python for Windows.
>
>Shouldn't this be distributed with binary distributions of Python, to save
>people the trouble?

The Python developers who produce the Windows binaries don't use
mingw/cygwin, so this would put a maintenance burden on them.

>Or, if it can be skipped, the procedure for doing a mingw build with the
>.lib should be documented and that'd be the end of it.

It's actually documented now, in the "Installing Python Modules" manual.  See:

http://docs.python.org/inst/tweak-flags.html#SECTION000622000000000000000

It just would need to have the libpython.a instructions removed in that case.