[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu Dec 9 21:18:07 CET 2004

The goal here is to make Python better known and to counter some of the
prevalent myths.  One way to accomplish this goal is to publish literate
technical articles with real content including performance measurements
and pointers to the code.  Perhaps Guido could be a real-life N. Bourbaki
and co-publish with developers.

A significant issue is: where to publish.  Certainly publishing in the
technical society journals (ACM & IEEE CS) would make sense.  Software
Practice and Experience would also be good.  Likewise DDJ and Game
Developer Magazine. But I suspect that much of our target audience will be
missed if we limit ourselves to these journals.  We also need to get
articles placed in the mass market computer mags.  And we need to build an
editorial relationship with the mass market journals so that when X says
they think "Python is slow" there's some they know they can call for a
truth-squad quote.

And, parenthetically, I continue to be amazed at the number of projects
that use Python, but do it in stealth-mode and view it as their
silver-bullet and competative edge.  I wish more people would publish
their experience.