[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Thu Dec 9 15:07:41 CET 2004

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>>* Python's website has traditionally been self-centered, leaving others
>>to have to make the case for their own products.  Perhaps, it is time to
>>change that.  Those who really care about speed cannot make a balanced
>>decision about Python without considering psyco, pyrex, numpy, and the
>>like as part of the total development environment.
>
>    That's overreaction, I think. People always say this and that about
> python - python is slow, and python is not like java, and python does
> not have static type checks... And what? Should the webmasters adapt the
> site to every complain?

Perhaps a link on the main page to a "for even more speed" page where we
can combine advice on how to improve application performance (measure,
abstract, choose good data structures) with references to these other
projects for particular applications.  This is the place to say things
like "operating on every character of a string is seldom efficient."

--
-- Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org