[Python-Dev] [Python 2.4] PyInt_FromLong returning NULL

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 19:02:51 CET 2004

[Jim Fulton]
> Ugh. Part of the problem is that all of those calls are unchecked,
> Dang us.  If they were checked, then, who knows, we might have
> gotten informative exceptions.

They certainly "should" be checked, but as a pragmatic matter
PyInt_FromLong(1) can't fail -- Python allocates an int object for 1
(and for about 100 other popular little integers) when it starts up,
and PyInt_FromLong() just returns a new reference to these
pre-existing objects whenever possible.  So, wrt:

> I'd say the first step should be to add checks

that's probably not going to help.  I'd make it the fourth thing <wink>.