[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Dec 6 00:55:54 CET 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>> I noticed that Makefile.pre.in uses the value from the environment
>> variable LDFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS.  Any reason for this?
>

> How did you notice that? For LDFLAGS, Makefile.pre.in has
>
> LDFLAGS=        @LDFLAGS@
>
> This does *not* mean that the value from the environment is used.
> Instead, it means that configure computes the value of LDFLAGS
> when it generates Makefile.in. For CPPFLAGS, configure has nothing
> to compute, so Makefile.pre.in just has the static value for
> CPPFLAGS.

I realize that much.  But if you look in configure.in it seems to use the
previous value of LDFLAGS every time it is redefined as a base and thus gets
its initial value from the environment variable the first time it is tweaked.

Not a big deal, though.  I will just use the environment variables in setup.py .

-Brett