[Python-Dev] Deprecated xmllib module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 5 18:54:42 CET 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> The library docs for, e.g. xmllib already say deprecated at the top - maybe
> it should be larger?

I think it would be better to *remove* the xmllib documentation.
Existing code which needs the module will continue to work even
without documentation, and new code is unlikely to be written for
a module that has no documentation, and where importing the module
gives a DeprecationWarning.

> Alternately, we could lock the folks complaining about the stdlib's state
> in a room with the folks who complain that every new thing has "wrecked
> the language that they knew and loved" and let them fight it out.

That sounds like a fair and democratic way of solving the issue.

Regards,
Martin