[Python-Dev] Deprecated xmllib module

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Dec 5 17:35:13 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 03:36, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> I mostly agree with Fredrik. What good does removal of xmllib do?
> It's not that it is causing any maintenance burden, so we could just
> leave it in. Whether this means that we keep xmllib until P3k, I
> don't know.
>
> As for PEP 4: I don't know whether it needs to be listed there. It
> appears that the PEP is largely unmaintained (I, personally, do not
> really maintain it). So one option would be to just stop using PEP 4
> for recording deprecations, since we now have the warnings module.
> If we want to keep PEP 4, we need to follow the procedures it
> requires (or modify them if we don't like them).

I agree.  We don't need to use PEP 4 for listing module deprecation
schedules.  It would be better if we included that information in the
DeprecationWarning.  Probably nobody reads PEP 4 when they get a
DeprecationWarning, but everyone reads the message that's printed, so if
it said something like "This module is deprecated and slated for removal
in Python 2.6", I think we'd be providing better information to our
users.

-Barry