[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Dec 5 11:40:08 CET 2004

"Brett C." <bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> I noticed that Makefile.pre.in uses the value from the environment
> variable LDFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS.  Any reason for this?
> ./configure -h`` lists both (and some other environment variables
> which are not really used either) so it seems a little misleading to
> have those listed but to not utilize them.

The whole story of how the compiling/linker flags get set up is a bit
of a mess, AFAIK.  I don't have the energy or the desire to try to
make what we want to happen precise (the hard bit) and then make that
happen (probably rather easier).

> This should allow for the removal of the direct support for Fink and
> DarwinPorts.

+lots.  I don't trust fink, but need it for latex...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  After a heavy night I travelled on, my face toward home - the comma
  being by no means guaranteed.           -- paraphrased from cam.misc