[Python-Dev] Deprecated xmllib module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 5 09:36:00 CET 2004

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Hmph.  The xmllib module has been deprecated since Py2.0 but is not
> listed in PEP 4.
>
> Question:  Do we have to keep it for another two years because of that
> omission?
>
> It seems somewhat silly to keep an obsolete, supplanted module that
> doesn’t full support XML 1.0.

I mostly agree with Fredrik. What good does removal of xmllib do?
It's not that it is causing any maintenance burden, so we could just
leave it in. Whether this means that we keep xmllib until P3k, I
don't know.

As for PEP 4: I don't know whether it needs to be listed there. It
appears that the PEP is largely unmaintained (I, personally, do not
really maintain it). So one option would be to just stop using PEP 4
for recording deprecations, since we now have the warnings module.
If we want to keep PEP 4, we need to follow the procedures it
requires (or modify them if we don't like them).

Regards,
Martin