[Python-Dev] Proposed change to logging

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 11:43:16 CEST 2004

 --- Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > print >> err, "My logging message with %s" %
> > "arguments"
> > print >> dbg, "A message at %s level" % "debug"
>
> Is this really a useful improvement?  It seems to
> save a few
> keystrokes at most.  TOOWTDI etc.

My personal vote would be +0, I posted the suggestion
only because some people have raised concerns that the
logging module is hard to use, and using "print" might
seem easier for newbies or casual users. Before
checking in, I want to see if I can remove that
implementation wart I mentioned. I feel the solution
Barry suggested is not as elegant as I'd like to have.

Vinay Sajip