[Python-Dev] SF Priorities, 2.4 release

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Aug 24 14:19:31 CEST 2004

Working originally from Tim's list, I propose to start using the
priorities in the SF tracker to try and manage the outstanding work
for 2.4. Here's the proposed list:

Priority 9:
   - MUST be done before the next release (whether it's a3, b1, b2,
     or whatever)
Priority 8:
   - MUST be done before b1. It's a functionality change, and it's
     needed for 2.4. If it's not done before b1, it will have to wait
     until 2.5, whenever that might be.
Priority 7:
   - SHOULD be done before 2.4 final.

I'm going to go through and start updating various open bugs and
patches with priorities.

How can you help? I'd _really_ prefer that people not run around
setting priorities themselves - instead, if you could let me know
of bugs/patches that you think should be changed, let me know,
either via email, or via IRC - #python-dev on irc.freenode.net.

Once this is done, I plan to start actively nagging relevant people
for feedback on patches/bugs that only they can provide. I'm happy
to do the work of actually checking the patches in, if you're too
busy, but in many cases, I'm not going to be able to provide the
level of local knowledge about a particular patch or bug report.

I'll also be updating the 2.4 release PEP, and I'll also create a
2.5 release PEP, and move stuff that misses 2.4 to it.

Anyway, I'm open to feedback on this. I plan to start frobbing
priorities shortly.

Anthony