[Python-Dev] Re: Update PEP 292

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 20 00:32:52 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 01:19, Tim Peters wrote:

> I do object to this part:
>
>      If the $ character appears at the end of the line, or is followed
>      by any other character than those described above, it is treated
>      as if it had been escaped, appearing in the resulting string
>      unchanged.
>
> There's already a facility to escape $, and it's dead easy to use.  $
> isn't a frequently needed character either in most apps.  So escaping
> $ "by magic" too is, I think, more likely to make typing errors harder
> to find than to do anyone real good.

What would you do about $'s at the end of the string?  I think the
implementation would be much more complex if you didn't have this rule,
e.g. you'd have to match \$$ and the $-placeholder regexps would
basically have to match everything.  Then the .sub call would have to be
more complex too, because it would have to check for the existence of
those match groups and then raise an exception.  Or something like that.

-Barry