[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Aug 19 22:42:06 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     >> Is anybody seriously trying to come up with a single alternative
>     >> decorator proposal that most folks "out there" can support, to be
>     >> presented to me (with implementation, please!) in time for 2.4b1?
>
>     Tim> I'm afraid that absolutely zero consensus is emerging :( I've
>     Tim> withdrawn myself entirely from the discussions as they've proven
>     Tim> completely useless.
>
> Ditto.  I think the list-after-def proposal had some support early on but
> people got very carried away proposing all sorts of other alternatives.

Having just read the bulk of the decorator emails in two nights, I can
confidently say that three proposals had steam.

One was definitely list-after-def.

Another was using a pipe (E2, although there is none showing it above
the function definition).  People seemed to like that except for the
font argument against it.

The last one was using '!' instead of either '@' or '|'.

If people want to get an alternative in I say vote on these four  (the
'!' has to choose where it goes relative to the 'def') on c.l.py and
present it to Guido 5 days before a3 (so by the 27th; that's a week from
tomorrow) to get it in since people will need time to play with it
before we hit b1.  Ignore if Guido rejected it at some point and just
see if everyone can just agree on *something*.

Then Guido decides and this thing can be over with and people can just
move on to learning how to use decorators properly.

-Brett