[Python-Dev] Decoding incomplete unicode

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 19 21:59:06 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>> Marc-Andre, if the original patch (diff.txt) was applied:
>>> What *specific* change in that patch would break code?
>>> What *specific* code (C or Python) would break under that
>>> change?
>
> [...]
>
>> Let's flesh this out some more and get a better understanding
>> of what is needed and how the separation between the stream queue,
>> the stream codec and the underlying codec implementation can
>> be put to good use.
>

> That really didn't answer the question: What would be technically
> wrong with accepting Walter's patches?
>
> I smell over-designing: there is a specific problem at hand
> (incomplete reads resulting in partial decoding); any solution
> should attempt to *only* solve this problem, not any other
> problem.

The specific problem is that of providing a codec that can
run in feeding mode where you can feed in data and read
it in a way that allows incomplete input data to fail over
nicely.

Since this requires two head positions (one for the writer,
one for the reader), a queue implementation is the right
thing to use.

We are having this discussion to find a suitable design
to provide this functionality in a nice and clean way.
I don't see anything wrong with this.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 19 2004)