[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Aug 19 20:38:48 CEST 2004

> Ok, so I suppose that we can learn from Jython and IronPython in
> this respect...
>
> How do they handle binary data and the interfacing between various
> I/O facilities, e.g. files, sockets, pipes, user input, etc.

I'm not sure, but I expect that in most cases they use Unicode strings
in order to be compatibly with Python's standard library.  That's not
the outcome I'd like to see though.  I believe Jython at least also
has a bytes-like type (probably a thin wrapper around Java's byte
array) that's used for interfacing to java classes.