[Python-Dev] Weird errors when adding a new built-in type

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Aug 19 17:41:32 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004, Geoffrey Biggs wrote:

> I'm trying to add a new built-in number data type to Python with its own
> syntax, so I'm working directly with the interpreter rather than
> creating my own extension module (side note: I've appended something
> extra to the version thing in the Makefile - I doubt this is relevant to
> the problem but it's probably best you have all the info). The complex
> data type is similar to what I'm trying to do so I've been following
> that as an example. I've successfully extended the tokenizer and the
> parsenumber() function in compile.c to do what I want and written the
> data type in my two new files Objects/mynewobject.c and
> Include/mynewobject.h. I've included mynewobject.h in Python.h and added
> the two files to the Makefile.
> However, when I tried to run the code by typing in the syntax to produce
> my data type, Python suffers a segmentation fault.

Unless you're planning to attempt pushing this into the core at some
point in the future, you're best off asking on comp.lang.python;
although some of the core developers no longer have time for c.l.py,
they're also not likely to answer your questions here, either.  ;-)

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com