[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Aug 19 16:22:13 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>From the posts I've seen here, the only alternatives that have
>>considerable popular support are ones that you've already
>>rejected. So I suspect nobody really feels it's worth trying.
>

> Well, do people generally buy those rejections, or is their consensus
> that I'm mistaken?

As I've noted before (sorry for repeating myself), I think the controversy
around this issue is evidence of a problem.  If you know that the decorator
idea is the right thing to do and you are comfortable with a syntax, then I
think you should go forward, and we'll all (speaking for myself :) follow
along.  OTOH, if you are just tired of talking about it and want to move
on, and don't know for sure that Python needs this, then I encourage you
to move on without decorators for now.

Jim