[Python-Dev] Byte string class hierarchy

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 19 11:21:38 CEST 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 18:36, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:16:33AM +0200, Jack Jansen wrote:
>>
>>>genericbytes
>>>	mutablebytes
>>>	bytes
>>>		genericstring
>>>			string
>>>			unicode
>>
>>I think characters (unicode or otherwise) should not be confused
>>with bytes.  Having 'unicode' as a subclass of 'bytes' is very
>>confusing to me.
>

> Agreed!

I assume the picture will look more like this:

basesequence
    mutable
       basebytes
	   bytes
	   array
	   cStringIO
	   mmap
    immutable
       unicode
       tuple
basenumber
    integer
    float
    decimal
    complex

etc.

I've dropped basestring here since we'll probably only have one
string type in Py3k. integer covers both int and long. Perhaps
we can merge float and decimal by that time as well ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 19 2004)