[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Aug 19 08:37:24 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> From the posts I've seen here, the only alternatives that have
>> considerable popular support are ones that you've already
>> rejected. So I suspect nobody really feels it's worth trying.
>
> Well, do people generally buy those rejections, or is their consensus
> that I'm mistaken?

I don't know about consensus, but there are a considerable number of
people who think you're mistaken (it's gotten pretty heated over on
c.l.py at times).

Personally, I think you're mistaken about decorators being hidden in
list-after-def, and problems with large, multi-line decorators - I think
such problems would be few and far between. I also think that decorators
are *not* the most important part of a function's signature - even
classmethod - but should be *part* of a function's signature.

Tim Delaney