[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Aug 18 10:49:52 CEST 2004

Roman Suzi wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>

>>Roman Suzi wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>

>>>It was in the shadows because we had byte-strings.
>>
>>Right, so why not revive it ?!
>>
>>Anyway, this whole discussion about a new bytes type doesn't
>>really solve the problem that the b'...' literal was
>>intended for: that of having a nice way to define (read-only)
>>8-bit binary string literals.
>
> I think new _mutable_ bytes() type is better than old 8-bit binary strings
> for binary data processing purposes.
> Or do we need them for legacy text-procesing software?

Hmm, who ever said that we are going to drop the current 8-bit
string implementation ?

I'm only suggesting to look at what's there instead of
trying to redo everything in slightly different way, e.g.
you can already get the bytes() functionality from
buffer type at C level - it's just that this functionality
is not exposed at Python level.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 18 2004)