[Python-Dev] Python 3.0 list of goals

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 17 19:24:35 CEST 2004

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> The thread about bytes() is about a Python 3.0 feature.  Guido's
> presentations have mentioned various changes he'd like to make in 3.0,
> but there's no master list of things that would change.
>
> I think it would be useful to have such a list, because it would focus
> our language development effort on ones that are steps to 3.0, and
> maybe people can invent ways to smooth the transition.  I've started a
> list in the Wiki at http://www.python.org/moin/Python3.0 , but should
> it be a PEP?  (PEP 3000, perhaps?)

I say a PEP.  While it can say that these features are just
possibilities, I would rather have a controlled place to list this stuff
so it is a little more official than having someone randomly come in and
start throwing in everything they wished Python 3.0 will have.

When it is decided where all of this info will end up I will go through
the python-dev Summaries and see if I can find anything there (tried to
make it a habit to doc stuff that Guido said would be a Python 3.0 feature.

There is also another wiki page on Python 3.0 at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonThreeDotOh .  I also have
an initial list going.  At PyCON Michael McLay and I discussed getting a
PEP written in hopes of getting grant funding from outside sources
(read: not the PSF) to implement some of the features.  And we figured a
PEP was probably as official as we could get short of a specific grant
proposal and thus be more acceptable to people considering providing funds.

-Brett