[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Aug 17 16:57:15 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Michael> Is this getting to (hopefully uncontroverisal!) PEP time?
>
> One would hope.  I sent in a skeletal PEP last week asking for a number but
> haven't heard back.

Goody.

>     Michael> Is there any consensus forming on whether bytes() instances are
>     Michael> mutable or not?
>
> ISTR Guido thought mutable was the way to go.

OK.

> I don't think that efficiency concerns will be a huge deal since it
> won't be used all over the place the way strings are.

Who cares? :-)

> Will they need to be used as dict keys?  Doesn't seem likely to me.

This is indeed the question.  I agree it's unlikely, and you can
presumably do something like convert a bytes() instance into a tuple
of small integers if you really want to key into a dict.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Clue: You've got the appropriate amount of hostility for the
  Monastery, however you are metaphorically getting out of the