[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Aug 16 20:27:50 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> If we switch the binding of 'yyy' to mean unicode('yyy')
>> some day, why can't we just continue to use the existing implementation
>> for 8-bit strings for b'xxx' (the current implementation is already
>> doing the right thing, meaning that it is 8-bit safe regardeless
>> of the source code encoding) ?
>

> Not exactly - the current implementation is not safe with respect to
> re-encoding source in a different encoding.

It is if you stick to writing your binary data using an ASCII
compatible encoding -- I wouldn't expect any other encoding for
binary data anyway. The most common are ASCII + escape sequences,
base64 or hex, all of which are ASCII compatible.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 16 2004)