[Python-Dev] Threading in the Standard Library Tour Part II

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Aug 16 07:29:52 CEST 2004

> I agree it would help to say more about threading pragmatics.  It's
> hard to say anything true, though <wink>.

After more thought, I'm leaving the existing tour mostly as-is and just
making minor fixups such as expanding the example.  The tour is supposed
to provide a brief introduction and not try to cover all that is known.

Instead, the Library Reference on threading should have extra sections
on threading pragmatics (especially with respect to GUIs) and some
non-toy examples to get someone started.  Also, Extending and Embedding
ought to cover the GIL, its significance, how to release/acquire, and
the implications for multi-processors, etc.

Several of the topics exceed my experience and some really need the
collective experiences of various implementers, teachers, etc.  So, it
might be worthwhile to have a wiki to collect the useful thoughts and
use that as a basis for improving the rest of the docs.

The threading docs are rather like a car manual that presumes that you
already know how to drive.

Raymond