[Python-Dev] Decorator keyword possibility?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 12 01:26:38 CEST 2004

Someone recently suggested 'remake' as a possible replacement for '@'

I don't like that name because Python doesn't use the word 'make' for
anything. However, it immediately prompted the thought of 'redef'

After all, decorator's effectively 'redefine' the original 'define'
block, to mean something else.

And the old decorator syntax is *definitely* a 'redefinition' syntax.

However, the problem with that word is that you would expect it to come
_after_ the definition (like the old syntax does). Which leads to the
actual suggestion of a 'predefinition'.

That is, we're going to tell you about the definition before we actually
get to it.

And so, on with the examples:

class demo(object):

   predef classmethod
   def foo(cls): pass

   predef staticmethod
   def bar(): pass

   predef accepts(int, int)
   predef returns(bool)
   predef someOtherDecorator(anarg, anotherarg, yetanotherarg)
   def foobar(self, apples, oranges):
     """Compares apples and oranges"""
     return apples < oranges

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan               |  Eugene, Oregon
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  |             USA