[Python-Dev] request: add keywords for static and class methods only [related to decorators discussion]

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 11 23:09:46 CEST 2004

Doug Holton wrote:

> After reading some posts here and the wiki page discussing the
> decorators:  http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators
> One idea that some people have suggested is to separate out standard
> uses for decorators like function metadata, vs. built-in features of
> python, like static methods and class methods.
>
> So I'm suggesting, don't use decorators for static and class methods.
>
> Perhaps for 2.5 or whenever, we should add keyword support for built-in
> features, just like java:
>
> These two keywords at least:
>
> def static mymethod (arg1, arg2):
>
> def classmethod mymethod( cls, arg1, arg2 ):
>
> And then you have to decide if you want to support other java built-in
> features and keywords like private, protected, public, synchronized.

This is in no way meant to be taken personally, but I am going make the
understated statement, "hell no", for this.  That means -Inf from me.  =)

We do not need more keywords for just static and class methods.  They
don't get used enough to warrant that.

-Brett